Are you struggling with feelings of loneliness? As you can tell from when you still feel lonely in a crowd, these emotions don’t come from a lack of enough people around you. Your loneliness really comes from the perception of lacking the relationships you wish you had. It’s a symptom of not receiving the love and support you desire.
If you feel lonely, try these ideas to work through your loneliness and get your life back on track:
- 1. Avoid comparing yourself to others. Yes, some people seem to have incredibly active social lives – they go out and do more in a week than many of us do in a year. But what has that got to do with you?
• Decide the size of your social life based on your own needs, not someone else’s. You may be happiest going out once a month. Everyone has different needs. Think about what would be best for you.
2. Live your life purpose. If you’re spending the majority of your time on the things that are most meaningful to you, you’ll feel happier and more fulfilled.
• You’re also much more likely to come into contact with people that share similar interests and will be understanding of your passions in life.
3. Get out of the house. Other people are outside your house. You’re not going to find them hiding in your linen closet. Take a walk, say “hi” to someone new at the store, or join a club.
• When you’re feeling lonely, going to visit friends and family can satisfy your cravings for companionship.
4. Take up a hobby. Sitting at home pondering your loneliness will only tend to make things worse. This is a great time to take up that hobby you’ve always wanted to try out.
• A new hobby will get you out of the house and interacting with others. People with similar interests can become the best of friends.
5. Volunteer. Volunteering is a great way to meet new people and get some perspective. When you interact with those less fortunate than you, it reduces your focus on your loneliness and brings you gratitude for the life you have.
• Try to find an organization that you can be excited about and proud to join. Your experiences there will also give you something to talk about with people outside of the organization.
6. Consider a pet. You might be surprised at the love and companionship you can share.
There are many things that you can do to find relief for your loneliness and create a life filled with the uplifting relationships you desire. First, examine your feelings and try to get to the root of why you feel loneliness. Recognize that everyone is different and we all have different needs.
Focus on living in accordance with your values, talents, and passions and good things will happen, including the right people dropping into your life.
Try to get out of the house and spend time with others in a meaningful way. Reach out to your friends and family. Put the above ideas into practice today, and loneliness will soon be a thing of the past.